Museum of Frescos

Museum of Frescos
Museum of Frescos

The Museum of Frescos is housed in the Franciscan Monastery of Francesco al Corso, built in 1230, where, according to tradition, St. Francis of Assisi stayed.

From the Austrian hegemony until 1959 it was intended for military use. During the allied bombings of World War II the bell tower collapsed.

Since 1973, the Western wing has being housing a museum with marvellous frescoes that have been removed from religious and private buildings dating back to the tenth to the sixteenth century to preserve them from the weather. Among the most inestimable frescoes we find that of an ancient sacellum dating back to the fifth century from the cave of Saints Nazaro and Celso, or the one depicting pagan gods by Domenico Brusasorci staremoved from the façade of the Fiorio della Seta Palace. 

It is dedicated to Giovanni Battista Cavalcaselle, a 19th century art historian who contributed to the preservation of the artistic heritage of the city.

The underground crypt houses Juliet’s Tomb.

Via Luigi da Porto
37121 Verona (VR)
SHARE
COPYRIGHT © 2019 WHAT'S UP AGENCY - Privacy Policy