The Arco dei Gavi was built by the Romans in the first century AD and it was the gateway to the city through Via Postumia. Although having the shape of triumphal arches, it is a celebratory monument to honour the Gens Gavia, an important and rich family of the imperial period.
Originally, the Arch was located in front of the Clock Tower of Castelvecchio where the pillars of are visible, marking the border of the urban development area of the time. However, in 1805, it was dismantled by Napoleonic troops to facilitate the passage of military tanks. It was only in 1932 that it was rebuilt by assembling the original stones on the square on the right, and also the black volcanic stone slabs of Via Postumia, with the characteristic grooves marked by the passage of the wheels of Roman chariots, were moved.
From the Renaissance till today it has been studied by famous artists; it was thought that the architect was the famous Vitruvio, but more recent studies have shown that it was in fact, a person with the same name, Lucio Vitruvio Cerdone, one of his pupils.