Marniga is one of the 24 small towns belonging to the municipality of Brenzone lying along the beautiful lake shore at the foot of Monte Baldo. They are all small and nice villages and districts.
In the beautiful historic centre of Marniga, the ancient folk festival of San Rocco takes place on August 16, established in 1836 to celebrate his intercession in bringing the plague to an end. During the festival, the narrow streets of the district are decorated to celebrate the collaboration of all districts, attracting more and more tourists who join the local residents to celebrate this rite. Being a religious festival, after the Holy Mass is celebrated in the parish church, a procession with the relic and the statue of the saint takes place.
Its history is connected to Brenzone, a relatively ‘young’ comune born in the mid-twentieth century. The development of these areas was slower due to the topography of the area, its steep and rugged slopes and a few narrow paths which limited the construction of roads.
The first documents proving its existence date back to the 12th century, when the municipalities began to develop. During the medieval period, the area was dominated by several powerful families, such as the Scaligeri, the Visconti,
the Carraresi and the Veneziani.
In the nineteenth century the economy was based mainly on the extraction of coal and lime, as well as olive cultivation and on livestock farming.