Limone sul Garda is a town located on the northwest coast of the lake. Although its name seems to derive from the lemon trees that characterise it, actually it comes from the "limen", which means border. Indeed, it was only accessible via the mountains or the water and therefore it remained a borderland of different dominions, the Ducati, Austria and now it divides Trento and Brescia.
The new 28 km long road, built in the rock, is a real masterpiece of technology and made Limone accessible.
The story of Limone followed the story of the neighbouring towns. The first inhabitants were the Cenomani, followed by the Romans, the Lombards, the Franks, the counts of Arco, the Serenissima and Austria. It became an Italian municipality only after the First World War.
Its mild temperatures and the rocks that protect it from the north winds create an ideal microclimate for agaves, oleanders, palms and cypress trees alongside terraced fields of lemons, oranges, mandarins and olives.
The first citrus greenhouses date back to the seventeenth century.
Its lovely port preserves the charm of an ancient fishing village, where small squares branches out with narrow and colourful streets, with their craft shops and restaurants. Some illustrious guests, such as Goethe, Lawrence and
Ibsen were fascinated by its Venetian palaces and mysterious alleys. To enjoy a splendid panorama, just visit the Chiesetta di San Rocco, dating back to the 16th century, which is situated above the village or admire the church of San Pietro in Oliveto, which was built around the end of the year 1400 which houses mosaics and frescoes and witnessed some important events, like the plague of 1630 and the cold snap of 1857.
The ideal place for sailing, windsurfing and mountain biking lovers.