Castelnuovo del Garda extends over the moraine hills and only a small portion of the town overlooks the lake shore. The mild climate of the hills allows a lush growth of olive trees, cypresses and vines. It is not just the ideal place for food and wine lovers, having some of the most beautiful parks in Italy, where to relax and have fun.
Archaeological finds attest that this area has been inhabited since prehistoric times.
For all we know, its first name was “Beneventum”, then changed into “Quadrivium” by the Romans, a name deriving from its position in the middle of the square area formed by Verona, Brescia, Mantova and Trento. According to history, many battles took place here. In 1154, it was destroyed by the troops headed by Federico Barbarossa, who built a new fortalice called “ Castrum- Novum”, which eventually became Castelnuovo.
It was ruled by the Scaligeri and the Visconti first, then it underwent the domination of Venice and the Austrian Empire. Among the bloody fights for independence from the Austrian Empire, we should mention the battle of 11-12 April 1848, when the town was burned down by Austrian troops sent by Radetzky, and the bloody assault of 11 July to the Lombard volunteers by three thousand adversaries equipped with artillery and cavalry. After several dominations, it acquired the present name, in 1970, and today the “Festa della Bandiera”, which takes place on the third Sunday of June, is the celebration of the battle which took place during the third war of independence. Given the presence of centuries-old vineyards and since this is the area where Custoza and Bardolino D.O.C. wines are produced, also the popular “Festa dell’Uva” is held here, in memory of the ancient grape-stomping ceremony which took place during the production of “Moro del Castel” wine.