MARKET DAY: Saturday
PORT: Porto Vecchio – Piazza A. Partenio
PHARMACY: Pacengo - Via Peschiera, 8
HOSPITALS: P. Pederzoli - Via Monte Baldo, 24; Ospedale Orlandi di Bussolengo - Via Ospedale, 4/6
Pacengo is a small village halfway between Peschiera and Lazise with golden beaches and a small harbour.
Its origins are remote, as demonstrated by the discovery of various objects, the result of settlements in the area in prehistoric and Roman times, from which the place name 'Pagus', meaning village, or 'Pax', meaning peace, derives. Major palaeo-ethnological finds emerged in the harbour area and are attributed to Count Arrigo Balladoro.
But the population increased especially around the year 1000, and as a bull of the time tells us, it was a centre of fishermen. An important event occurred in Pacengo during the First War of Independence on 28 April 1848, and it was that the Piedmont Brigade put the Austrians to flight. It later hosted Ferdinand of Savoy as he laid siege to Peschiera.
Interesting to visit is the late 17th century parish church, which houses wonderful paintings by Piatti and a remarkable polychrome marble altar by the masters Zoppi and Spiazzi.
It is also worth admiring the Renaissance villas of Count Balladoro, the 'Bottona' villa designed by architect Barbieri and Villa Catterinetti-Franco, marvellous summer estates of nobles of the past with large parks, gardens and beautiful rooms.